Monday, December 1, 2014

The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald 
This book was first published in 1925 when Fitzgerald was living in France with his wife Zelda.

Summery
This novel takes place in the summer of 1922. Starting from the early summer and ending in late summer/ early fall.

So, Jay Gatsby is the rich man that lives next door to Nick Carraway (a poor bonds salesman). He is the man who throws lavish parties at least once a month, the mysterious man that no one really knows about.

Daisy Buchanan is the "golden girl" to Gatsby. The one that got away. She his Nick's distant cousin and is married to Tom Buchanan. She is the girl everyone wanted but nobody could have, until Gatsby.

Once Nick is invited to one of Gatsby's famous parties, a plan is set in motion to reunited Gatsby and Daisy for the first time since 1917 when Gatsby was sent into the front lines during World War One.


My Thoughts
Even though I had to read this for school, I was super excited and couldn't wait. I had been wanting to read this since the movie came out last year and I have refused to watch the movie until I read this book. This book has made me even more excited to see the movie, this is honestly my new favorite american classic.

Now, I did think that some of the characters were a bit off. Daisy for example, I did not know when I was first reading this book if I liked this or not. But after I finished reading this book I decided that it was a good strategy by Fitzgerald. Throughout the book I constantly had to keep my attention going to make sure I didn't miss anything, because sometimes the things that Daisy says or does is just strange.

Another thing I really liked about this book was Fitzgerald's writing style. I could tell that Fitzgerald had taken his time writing, and rewriting, and revising this book. I also liked how he wrapped up all of his ends so much better than most author's do today.

This book overall was very well written and I could not believe how much I loved it. At about a 180 pages, this book has so many plot twist, that you will never see some of these coming. I understand why this book was such a hit when it was first published in 1925.

So I am giving this book a 4.5 out of 5 stars.


Hope to have you reading again soon,

Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment