Monday, August 12, 2013

Son of Neptune

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

Summery-
Percy can't remember who he is, but he does remember one thing from his past. Annabeth. On his way through the country Percy finds Camp Jupiter. A camp exactly like Camp Half-blood, but for Roman dimi-gods. When Percy arrives he meets Frank and Hazel, but only after he meets Juno (Hera's roman form.) When Percy is introduced to the camp nobody wants him in their group, that is until Hazel speaks up.

That night during their capture the flag type war game, Mars (Ares' roman form) shows up and finally claims Frank, who has been waiting four months to be claimed, and pronounces that a quest is in order.

Now along with Hazel and Frank, Percy must free Thantos, the god of Death, and help shut the gates of the underworld.


What I Thought-
I would say that this is one of Riordan's finest piece of works. The story is captivating and traveling with Percy again is refreshing.

One thing that got me was that up in Alaska Riordan made it seem like it was the North Pole, nothing but a huge floating land mass. Now please correct me if I am wrong but the first snow generally does not hit until September or October. And in July the days are still pretty long so wouldn't be more like a marsh at that point, and Riordan kind of puts that fact out there, but when Hazel talks about it it seem like those are there all year round. Now the only reason I question this is because there is a factual mistake in the first book. For those who do not know what I am talking about it is okay, I only just figured this out. Persephone should not have been in the underworld in the first book because it was during the summer solstice and she only stays there from the fall equinox to the spring equinox.

Other than that one thing the book was amazing, the depth of the characters and figuring out their back stories was like a field day for readers and very creative.

So before I give this book my stars I have a question for you dear readers. What book should I review next?
Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan
I, Alex Cross by James Patterson
Wake by Amanda Hockings

My overall loving of this book won over the factual doubt and this book earned a rare 5 out of 5 stars.

Hope to have you reading again soon <3,
Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment